I Give A Speech! (Run.)

So, here's a rough copy of the speech I'm reading right about now at my graduation. It'll be almost exactly what I say, but I'll add/drop a few words here and there. I'll try to get the video, and put it up. So, yeah!

Congrats, '09. It's been a blast.

And now for something completely indifferent... The clichéd lines of the stereotypical graduation speech. Let's reflect on some of the things many valedictorians of the past have counted on to make their speech special, in an effort to boost my reflections today.

So, we're here. The class of 2009. Congratulations!
As I began to write this speech, I realized I had absolutely no clue what to say!
This is the beginning of the rest of your life.
It's so sad to see you all go... We've been through so much together! (sniff) (Splash) I'm sorry, I promised myself I wouldn't cry!
Insert ridiculous quote here.

I think if I kept going with these phrases, you'd become bored. I know I felt dull and lifeless reading them. If I filled my speech with stereotypes, nothing would be achieved and you all would be angry with me for wasting your time with trivial information. The same thing applies to life. If we allow stereotypes to fill our lives, it will become a bland canvas of individuals with no impression of character, guided by the actions society deems appropriate based on their ascribed status, or an attribute they have no control over.

I've had it with these stereotypes, I'm done with immediate classification. To be our age today is to constantly struggle with the snide comments of others, who believe we are a group whose only ambition in life is to engage in promiscuity and use loads of drugs and alcohol. Teens have achieved this bad name, and now we must deal with the many obstacles brought about by our reputation. But, we're no strangers to overcoming this fact, are we? I mean, in sixth grade they wouldn't let us out of arms reach! We were classified as “the worst class to come through West Side.” But, over the years, we have matured. (cough - somewhat) Compared to then, I'd say we're pretty dignified individuals now.

It seems everyone in life needs to prove someone wrong to amount to something great. We look back and see the rise of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Such adversity has never been overthrown with the power and grace that King wielded. Like him, we must cast off the judgment passed to us by those “above.” To truly achieve success in life, our generation must transcend our faults and rise to our full potential. Only then can we prove the masses wrong, and show them we are a force to be reckoned with.

Let's take a moment to look at another individual's life, who has become known across the globe for overcoming the situations I've been describing. He is born to an ex-hippie, straight out of the 60's. He grows up generally accepting his youthful stereotype, becoming outspoken and trying some drugs with his peers. Early in his adult life, he is tested by his race and former religion, two things that will leave him in a poor position for occupation and success in many places. But, he overcomes those stereotypes, gaining a position in his state legislature. After a few years, he moves through the political ranks. Today, President Obama is one of the most well known individuals in the world, and one of our most well-known leaders. Pretty good for a stereotyped kid, right?

In the years to come, I don't mind if you forget my name. I really don't mind if you forget my face. I will have no problems dealing with that fact, for we all must lose things along life's path. Also, I don't care if you don't consciously remember my words today. They're only plucks of the vocal cord, anyways. No, the only thing I care about is that you help me change their minds. We are the future, we must deal with what's ahead. Class of '09, you are the hope of many. I ask you to step up and fill the role that the world won't ask you to occupy. Take a stand, or have a seat.

Thanks for the memories, y'all. God Bless.

0 comments:

Post a Comment